In modern age lots of information is available on the internet. Some of this information can be “adult material” and that is really unsuitable and disturbing for children. Hence they need parental guidance. And parents must take care about the online activity of children just like they control their offline activity. Sometimes it is just better to block these adult sites so that children cannot see them at any point of time. Luckily, there are lots of ways to block such sites. Whether you are using laptop or mobile, all the latest gadgets/operating systems and browsers offer the ability to block content
How can you block sites on Windows or Mac computers?
- Log in using your Microsoft Account
- If your child doesn’t already have his account, set up one and sign in
- In the Accounts option in setting, go to “Family and other users”
- Click on “ Manage family settings online”
- Go to your child’s account, here you can view or change the browsing activity, apps usage and block some sites. You should also block browsers like Chrome or Firefox to make the best use of these parental controls.
Adult content and InPrivate browsing is blocked by default. You can get weekly email reports, review the recent activity and change the settings of apps, games, media and browsing. Set a specific time limit for your child to use the computer, once the time limit is exceeded, your child is logged out.
- Log in as an administrator.
- Double click to open Control Panel. Click on Network and Internet where you will find Internet Options.
- Select it and click Content tab that has the Family Safety.
- Select the account for which you want adult sites blocked. You can use Web Filtering and choose the sites you want to block. There is also an option that says “Designed for children” that can blocks adult sites.
Windows7 or Vista
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click Control Panel.
- Select option for “Set up parental control for any user”.
- Select the user you want to block from seeing adult sites. You can also select the standard user that has no password. Select “On” in Parental Controls. Click the Web Filter and select some of the appropriate sites you want user to access.
- In order to block adult sites, you have to click on the Apple Menu, select System Preferences and click Parental Controls.
- Enter your name and password.
- Select or fill in your child’s account details and enable parental controls. Under parental control, you can prevent your child from your certain apps, block websites, and disable access to App store. You can also set time limits.
How to block adult websites on browsers?
When you want to block adult sites for kids then while using Mozilla, go to Tools and select Add-ons. There you will find Get Add-ons options with extensions. Select Parental Controls or block adult sites. In addition, there are many Available add-ons that can be downloaded and installed for the same purpose.
When you are using a browser like Chrome and you have to block the adult sites for your children then it came is done as follows:
- Go to http://www.google.com/preferences. Select or put a tick-mark on the filter explicit results.
How to setup parental control on iOS and Android?
In android, you can create a profile for your child and filter content based on the child’s age. You can also restrict download of app with the following steps:
- Open the app: Play Store on your Android phone.
- Tap Menu, and then navigate to settings and parental controls.
- Enable parental controls
- You should also set a pin so that no one else can modify your parental controls.
- Choose which apps, music or books can be downloaded and restrict the download or purchase of disturbing content.
iOS devices also allow you to create profiles and allow access on the basis of the profiles.
For parental control:
- Tap on settings, general and then restrictions
- Enable restrictions
- You can set up a lock on restrictions to enable or disable it.
- Under restrictions you can allow or disable the access of apps that you wouldn’t want your child to use.
Best Parental control apps
Unfortunately, the in-built settings in operating systems might not be able to censor content. You can install keylogger software in your computer, tablet or smartphone and purchase parental control apps for utmost protection.
- ESET parental control for Android
- Net Nanny
- Norton Family Premier
Here we have listed the best ways to protect your children from accessing obscene content. Do try these methods out and make the online world safe for them!