Bones form the skeletons and provide support for human bodies. On the other hand, bones also work like a store for minerals that our bodies necessitate more such as calcium. Bone loss is common in women more than in men. All most all women have no idea that they have suffered bone loss until they fall, and fracture a bone.
What is Bone Loss?
What Is Bone Made Of?
Bone is strong because of calcium, but bone also acts like a storehouse for calcium. In fact, more than 99% of the body's calcium is contained in the bones and teeth. The remaining 1% is in the blood.
What Causes Bone Loss?
Bone loss happens when more bone is resorbed than is formed by the body. Mostly the new bone is added during childhood and teenage years. Therefore, bones become both larger and stronger. Bone density is arriving at around age 30. After we reach at age 30, the elasticity and strongness of bones slowly begins to less and became less fexible.This leads to bone loss. It’s a fact that Bone loss occurs fastest in women after menopause. The most important factor of bone loss is diet low in calcium, not exercising, smoking, and taking certain medications such as corticosteroids. Corticosteroids are medications prescribed for diseases such as arthritis, asthma. This may cause osteoporosis when used for a long time. Men are also at risk for bone loss. Bone loss usually occurs at old age in men.
Symptoms of Bone Loss
Some of major symptoms are given below:
Major Risk Factors
Treatment Of Bone Loss/How Can Bone Loss Be Prevented?
Factors, such as age, deficiency in calcium lead to bone loss. However, simple steps can be taken to avoid or slow bone loss. Some of the important points we are discussion here:
Have a Diet High in Calcium
Not getting an adequate amount of calcium during a person's life span considerable increases the risk of developing osteoporosis. A low-calcium diet cause with bone loss, that’s every human being, needs diet with high calcium.
Some good sources of calcium include the following:
Dairy products with low fat, such as milk, yogurt, cheese, and ice cream
Dark green leafy vegetables, such as broccoli, collard greens, and spinach
Sardines and salmon with bones
Some foods have added calcium, such as orange juice, cereals, and breads. Calcium supplements are also available with calcium tablet.
Healthy Diet in Vitamin D
Both Vitamin D and calcium are fixed together as it absorbs calcium from the diet. Without enough vitamin D, people are unable to absorb calcium from the foods they eat. When human body is not able to absorb enough calcium from foods, the body has to take calcium from the bones which causes bone loss and leads to weaker bones.
Vitamin D comes from two sources. Vitamin D can absorb in our skin through direct exposure to sunlight, and it also comes from the diet. Many people get enough vitamin D naturally and also from fortified dairy products, egg yolks, saltwater fish, and liver. However, vitamin D production decreases in older people, in people who are housebound, and during the winter.
Physical activity during childhood and adolescence increases bone density and strength. Children who regularly exercise are stronger bone than those that do not exercise. The best exercise to prevent bone loss is weight-bearing exercise that works against gravity along with walking, hiking, jogging, climbing stairs, playing tennis, and dancing. The second type of exercise is resistance.
Elderly people and those people who have not exercised for most of adulthood should check with their health-care provider before beginning any exercise program.
Give up Smoking
As we all know “smoking is injurious to health”, It also harmful for bone also. Normally lower estrogen levels lead to increased bone loss. Women who smoke more have lower estrogen levels in comparison to women who do not smoke. Men and women who smoke may absorb less calcium from their diets which leads to less calcium deficiency, hence to bone loss.
Less the Consumption of Alcohol Intake
Alcohol is next thing which causes many health issues after smoking. Regular consumption of alcohol a day may be damaging to bones, yet in young women and men. Intense and heavy drinkers are more likely to have bone loss and fractures. This is related to both poor nutrition and increased risk of falling.
As Bone loss is a quiet health condition and has no symptoms and happens slowly over the years, therefore we must careful enough for this health issues.