Hair loss is the most frustrating condition for many men, women ans even children. It is also known as baldness, hypotrichosis and alopecia. This conditions refers to the loss and falling of hair from the body and head. It is very common disease that affects almost everyone at some stage in their lives.
Hair loss can be a result of genetic factors, hormonal changes and infections. Severity of hair loss depends on conditions such as total hair loss from the head (alopecia totalis) and total hair loss from the head as well as from the body (alopecia universalis).
Normally, a human sheds or losses 100 hair strands on average everyday. It happens to be normal when the hair which are lost are replaced by new ones. But alopecia happens when the balance is not maintained.
Stages of male pattern blindness
Causes of Hair Loss:
There are 100 to 1000 of causes of hair loss. I am going to include the main ones which includes:
- Any physical stress just such as a trauma or accident can cause hair loss. This can also inhibit a condition known as telogen effluvium.
- Pregnancy can also can hair loss in women.
- A diet containing too much vitamin A (hypervitaminosis) can also lead to hair loss.
- Iron deficiency and lack of protein causes hair loss.
- Heredity and genetic factors also has a great impact on hair loss.
- Hormones also play a great role in inducing hair loss.
- Emotional stress, depression and tensions can also lead to hair fall.
- Hypothyroidism also leads to alopecia.
- Vitamin B deficiency is also a proven cause of hair loss.\
- Auto-immune related hair loss called alopecia areata also causes hair loss due to a overactive immune response.
- A disease known as lupus can also lead to hair loss.
- Excessive use of anti depressants can also lead to hair loss.
- Over styling and heating can surely damage hair and cause hair loss.
Treatments for hair loss :
Treatments for hair loss include certain drugs and medication. In severe cases surgery can also be performed.
- Hormonal modulator such as spironolactone and flutamide.
- Hair plantation
- Follicle transplants
- Scalp reduction
- Hairline lowering
- Hair loss reduction
Hair loss do not actually require testing, but there are still certain tests to fully diagnose hair loss to begin proper treatment.
- The pluck test: In this the hair is plucked out of the root an examined under microscope to properly identify the hair growth pattern.
- The pull test: It helps to evaluate scalp hair loss by gentle traction.
- Scalp biopsy: It is done when the diagnosis are not clear. Hair samples are taken and examined.
- Daily hair counts: It is done by counting the fallen hair daily.
Although you cannot alter the natural hair loss pattern which is known balding, but you can prevent hair from damaging which may lead to hair fall and loss.
- Avoid styling and straightening products.
- Avoid chemical-laden cosmetic which causes hair brittleness and weakness.
- Do some hot oil massage every week.
- Use quality conditioner and shampoo.
- Brush you hair properly.
- Use vitamin 101 which is known as biotin for hair growth.
- Meditate and exercise daily.